Sunday, March 24, 2013

Review: A Short History of Canada

A Short History of Canada - RevisedA Short History of Canada - Revised
by Desmond Morton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A history of an entire country is challenging. There are lots of things that have to be covered, but if it is to be a "short" history the author can't spend too much time on any one of them. I think Morton did a good job finding a balance here. His writing was clear and engaging and I was able to follow most of the events easily enough. The constant elections and shifts in government power in both the country and the various provinces made my head spin despite Morton's fine efforts.I found several things about Canada's history surprising: the lack of an established constitution, the constant elections, and the power of other nations (the US and Britain esp.) to drive Canadian. I also hadn't realized how new the country is and how internally divided it is.As an introduction to Canadian history I found this book interesting and would recommend it.

This book counts toward the Canadian Book Challenge 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...