Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lisa's Review: Caught

 
My Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
  
"It's June 1978, and David Slaney can be sure of only one thing. He can't get caught; not this time. He's escaped from prison and has got to make good on the heist that went wrong...First, though, he must get himself across a vast country full of watchful eyes, booby traps, and friends who might be foes...Here are bravado and betrayal, bad weather and worse seas, love, lust, undercover agents, the collusion of governments, innocence and the loss thereof, and many, many bales of marijuana." ~ book jacket synopsis
 
This 2013 Giller Prize short-list finalist is the first book I've read from Lisa Moore. The book begins with David Slaney having just escaped from the penitentiary in Springhill, Nova Scotia and follows him as he attempts to make his way to Vancouver to meet up with his best friend Hearn so they can continue in planning their next pot crime. Slaney's travels are all underlined with the fear of being caught. There is a parallel story that follows Patterson,  staff-sergeant with the Toronto drug enforcement unit, who is intent on catching Slaney & Hearn - his career depends on it.
 
Having read the synopsis from the cover made me think that this would be a little more of a nail biter/page turner than it turned out to be. That said, I did fully enjoy the read - I enjoyed Moore's style of writing, and it definitely held suspense, just not in the edge-of-my-seat way I thought it would. Based on this read & reviews of some of her other works, I look forward to checking out more written by Lisa Moore.
 
This is my fifth book read for the 7th Annual Canadian Book Challenge.

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...