Saturday, September 10, 2016

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Jane EyreJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This counts toward my 2016 Back to the Classics Challenge for "re-read a classic you read in school." It is also on my Classics Club list.

I didn't have a strong recollection of this novel from having read it in college. I liked it at the time and remembered the crazy wife in the attic but not a lot else. I didn't have a much stronger reaction this time. It was fine, Rochester was dashing and appealing in many ways and St. John was creepy. Jane was a fine and upstanding heroine (reminded me of Meg March a bit), but it didn't wow me.
Several other Classics Club members reviewed this book and got a lot more out of it than I did. Both Riv and Margot have interesting reviews of this book.


1 comment:

  1. I only started reading these old classics as an adult and I think what appealed to me most was just how engaging and readable they are, especially this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...