Thursday, November 10, 2016

Lisa's Review: Descender, Volume 1: Tin Stars

Descender by Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars

Descender is a graphic novel and is the first in a three book series written by Jeff Lemire and illustrated by Dustin Nguyen. I won this book as part of a mini-challenge in the 10th Annual Canadian Book Challenge (the mini-challenge was to read a Canadian graphic novel).

I'm not a huge fan sci-fi genre books, and I wasn't totally certain about graphic novels, so wasn't sure what to expect for this read. The verdict? I loved it! The synopsis from the cover: Ten years after planet sized robots called Harvesters appeared and wreaked havoc across the galaxy, a young android named TIM-21 wakes to find that all robots have been outlawed.

The writing and illustrations were both excellent. I found myself getting sucked into the story as we find out how TIM-21 came to be and what led to the outlaw of the androids. My first graphic novel experience was so lacking in plot that I thought that might a sign of what other graphic novels would be like. But I was happy to find this is not the case. Even in this short novel, I connected with the characters, felt a wide range of emotion, and wanted to know "what is next?!". I am eager to read the other two books in this series.    

This is my fourth book read for the 10th Annual Canadian Book Challenge and also completes the mini-challenge for November which is to read a book that is a part of a series.

2 comments:

  1. I was glad to see this review. I have been wanting to try out some graphic novels and this one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I hope you try one out...I am encouraged to try out some more.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...