Sunday, November 13, 2016

View from the Cheap Seats

The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected NonfictionThe View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a big book of essays and, as is typical of any large compilation, I thought some of them were better than others. I lack the background knowledge that was needed to get much out of the essays on comic books and graphic novels. The ones on other writers were very interesting (the work of Diana Wynne Jones is now on my TBR list) and the more general ones (about reading and libraries) were great. I love that when Gaiman talks about having been a child roaming unsupervised in the library and how great that was that he points out this is not a legitimate source of daycare. The essays about the development of his own work, including Stardust (which is one of my favorite books) and American Gods (which I didn't like but need to give a second chance) broadened my understanding of these novels.
I am counting this book toward the What's in a Name Challenge for the category 'a piece of furniture.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...