Saturday, May 6, 2017

Dubliners

DublinersDubliners by James Joyce
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
“The light music of whisky falling into glasses made an agreeable interlude.” 
This collection of short stories takes the reader on a tour of Dublin, Ireland at the turn of the 20th century.
I have found Joyce hard-going in the past, but this volume was enjoyable and the stories were easy to follow. I liked the contrast between the various lives being led in a single city. In a couple of cases a person from one story popped up as an incidental character in another. I would have liked more connections like that as it would have given a bit more cohesion to the collection.
This book is one of my classics club titles (it was my Spring 2017 spin title, in fact). This title could count toward the Back to the Classics Challenge as either a 20th century classic (first published in 1914) or as a classic set somewhere I would like to visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...