Thursday, July 24, 2014

Lisa's Review: February

February by Lisa Moore

My Review: 4 of 5 Stars

In February, Lisa Moore tells the story of Helen O'Mara, who becomes a young widow after the oil rig, Ocean Ranger, sank off the coast of Newfoundland. Her husband, Cal, worked on the oil rig and the tragic events left her with 4 young children to raise on her own.

The telling of Helen's story bounces around in timeline - from "present" 2008-ish, to the time when the oil rig sank in February 1982, to times before that with Cal, and times in between with Helen raising her children. Moore expertly balances this back and forth in timelines.

When I started reading this book, I didn't know much about the storyline. I read a book earlier this year by Lisa Moore & enjoyed it thoroughly, so picked this one off of the library shelf. I was pretty much sucked in from the start through to the end. I was a fan of Moore's style of writing in Caught, and that was even more so a factor in this book. Her descriptions, are vivid, and often left me thinking "wow!".  I was impressed with the way that she captured the real-life events of the Ocean Ranger tragedy, and makes the reader imagine what that must have been like for a surviving family of a crew member who was lost through the eyes of Helen.

This is my second book read for the 8th Annual Canadian Book Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...